Khatta Meetha Kaddu is a delicious sweet and sour pumpkin recipe. This is one of the easiest recipes you can make using pumpkin or kaddu. There are generally two types of pumpkin available in market- one with orange peel and another one with green peel. You can use any of the variety in this recipe however I have used Hara kaddu here as it is easier to peel and it cooks faster also.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
List of Ingredients: (Serves 3 to 4)
- Hara Kaddu/Pumpkin- 650 grams
- Ghee/Clarified Butter-2 tbsp (For vegan version, use oil)
- Methi seeds/Fenugreek seeds- 1 tbsp
- Heeng/Asafoetida- A pinch
- Red chilli powder-3/4 tsp
- Coriander powder-1 & 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Salt- To taste
- Sugar- 6 tsp
- Amchoor powder / Mango powder-3 tsp
- Water-2 tbsp (If using yellow pumpkin, take 1/4 cup)
Steps To prepare:
(If using orange pumpkin, take 1/4 cup water at this step. Cook for 2-3 whistles and sim for 10 minutes. You may have to adjust the cooking time depending on the pumpkin variety you have. At the end we just want soft mushy consistency of pumpkin)
You will notice that pumpkin has started releasing water because of addition of sugar. Cook it on low flame till the excess moisture is evaporated and sabzi reaches a thick consistency.
Enjoy this Khatta Meetha Kaddu with chapati, poori or Urad Dal paratha!! For Urad Dal Paratha, click here.