Paneer Bhurji is a flavoursome protein packed Indian vegetarian dish made with scrambled Indian cottage cheese (paneer), fresh vegetables like onions, tomatoes, capsicum, ginger along with some spices. It is a flavour packed paneer recipe and tastes absolutely juicy succulent.
This is an easy paneer bhurji or scrambled paneer recipe which you can make quickly for dinner or lunch. It can be served as main dish with some hot chapatis, naan or as a side dish with with dal (lentil) etc. You can even make paneer sandwiches or wraps by using it as filling.
Generally for other paneer dishes like Shahi paneer, Kadhai Paneer, Palak Paneer etc we need to make some kind of gravy but to make this restaurant style Paneer Bhurji all you need is handful of chopped vegetables like onion, capsicum, some crumbled paneer, few spices and you are good to go!!
Paneer, also known as Cottage Cheese, is a great source of protein and calcium especially in a vegetarian diet. As it is low in carbs and full of good fats, it is often recommended for weight loss also. To make healthy paneer bhurji, you can use low fat paneer & skip butter from the recipe.
Paneer is made by curdling the milk using vinegar or lemon juice. You can buy paneer from market or check out this post on how to make fresh paneer at home.
The recipe is gluten free, kids friendly & can be packed in their tiffin box with chapati, parathas or as wraps / sandwiches. Hope you would like this delicious easy Paneer Bhurji recipe!!
I have also shared a youtube video for this same recipe. Incase of doubt at any step, you can refer to it 🙂
List Of Ingredients: (Served 3 to 4)
- Crumbled Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese)-200 grams
- Ghee/Cooking Oil-2 tsp
- Chopped Tomatoes (Large)-1
- Chopped Onion (Medium)-1
- Chopped Capsicum-1/4 cup
- Chopped Green Chilli-1
- Ginger Paste- 1 tsp
- Chopped Cashews-3 tbsp
- Cumin seeds (Jeera)- 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder (Haldi)- 3/4 tsp
- Salt-1 tsp (or to taste)
- Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch)-1/2 tsp
- Crushed Black Pepper (Kali Mirch)-1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder (Dhaniya powder)-1/3 tsp
- Garam Masala-1/3 tsp
- Milk- 2 to 3 tbsp
- Butter- 2 tsp (optional)
- Lemon Juice- 2 tsp
- Chopped Coriander Leaves- For garnishing
1. If you are using store bought paneer, make sure it is as fresh as possible. To make it more succulent, dip in warm water for 10-15 minutes and then crumble / grate it.
2. If you are allergic to nuts, feel free to skip cashews.
3. For spiciness, red chilli powder, black pepper and a fresh green chilli has been used in this paneer bhurji recipe. If you like spiciness on lighter side, feel free to skip any of them
Steps To Prepare:
Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan and add cumin seeds. When the seeds begin to crackle, add chopped onions. Saute the onions for 2-3 minutes till they become pink in colour. Add ginger paste and chopped green chillies. Stir well for 10-15 seconds.
Add chopped cashews and capsicum to it . Stir once again. Let the cashews and capsicum sauté for 2-3 minutes.
Add chopped tomatoes, salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder & turmeric powder. Mix well and let it cook on medium-low flame till tomatoes start to soften up.
Once the tomatoes begin to soften, add grated paneer (cottage cheese) along with milk and black pepper.
Mix well all the ingredients and then cover the pan with a lid. Let the bhurji cook for 2-3 minutes on low flame. This gives crumbled panner the time to absorb milk and spices. Add garam masala and butter after opening the lid. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes more. Switch off the flame, add fresh lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves.
The addition of lemon juice and fresh coriander leaves add so much of freshness in this dish so please don’t skip it 🙂 Serve this hot and delicious Paneer Bhurji with chapati or parathas. Bon Appetit!!
Pin it : https://pin.it/7cweBIz
Can I make this Paneer Bhurji ahead of time?
You can make it ahead of time and store in it airtight container in fridge for 2-3 days. Storing in airtight container is important as it prevents paneer from drying. At the time of re-heating just add 1-2 tbsp of milk or water and microwave it.
Kitchen Products Used:
- Pan/Kadhai : https://amzn.to/3lkOTmC
- Turmeric Powder: https://amzn.to/2TLTGSG
- Red Chilli Powder: https://amzn.to/2TKRB9w
More Paneer Recipes you might like:
- Paneer Tikka Sandwich
- Spinach Corn Appe with Paneer Stuffing
- Herbed Paneer
- How to make Paneer at home